Registered Nurse—Part Time
Beauvoir, the National Cathedral Elementary School in Washington, DC seeks one or more part-time, qualified registered nurses for
- school year afternoons
- full days when the head nurse is absent
- and/or to help with the School’s six-week summer camp.
The nurse(s) will supervise nursing care for children between three months and nine years old in the Early Learning Center, pre-kindergarten to third grade classrooms, and in our auxiliary programs. The normal hours for the afternoon nurse are 3:00-6:00 p.m. The hours for the substitute nurse during regular school days and the hours for summer nurses are 7:45 a.m.-4;00 p.m. Beauvoir is committed to finding the right people to join our team, and we will try to find schedules that work for the right applicants for these positions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The nurse(s) will be responsible for:
- Assessing the health status of children in the identification and prevention of illnesses and for providing general healthcare.
- Respecting the confidentiality inherent to the health profession and working with the School’s other part-time nurse to maintain accurate and proper documentation and records.
- Providing appropriate written/oral feedback on student(s) health issues.
- Maintaining accurate and complete student records and school records as required.
- Keeping up on health policies that apply to the School (responsibilities vary by position).
- Regularly communicating necessary information to students, colleagues, and families regarding student health needs
- Maintaining a professional relationship with colleagues, students, families, and community members
- Demonstrating enthusiasm for the mission of the School and for working collaboratively with fellow faculty members to fulfill and support the strategic initiatives and vision of the School.
- Exemplifying collaboration that supports an authentic and inclusive school community and collaboration that supports colleagues in a positive manner.
- Establishing and maintaining open and respectful lines of communication with students, parents and colleagues; encouraging parent and community involvement; obtaining information for parents when requested; promptly returning phone calls and answering emails.
- Demonstrating preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic, and ability backgrounds.
- Embodying the Beauvoir Life Rules in aspects of employment and interactions with school stakeholders.
- Supporting, upholding, and promoting the Beauvoir Core Values of Childhood, Collaboration, Creativity, Curiosity and Courage.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years’ experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required and/or a graduate of an approved registered nursing program.
- At least three years in a staff nurse capacity in a school or pediatric healthcare facility is preferred.
- Valid and current license to practice in the District of Columbia as a registered nurse.
- Current CPR certification, health exam, and TB test.
- Knowledge of current principles and best practices of nursing standards of care.
- Knowledge of occupational exposure to blood-borne pathogen standards and operational procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Compatibility with the School’s values, culture, and current administration and faculty are a must.
- Passing periodic background checks, an FBI background check and, at the discretion of the School, drug and alcohol screening.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong writing and editing skills; ability to write and format professional correspondence, memos, and support documentation.
- Mature judgment and discretion; ability to maintain confidentiality and composure under pressure.
- Consistent and prompt attendance.
- Compliance with the provisions of the Beauvoir Faculty & Staff Handbook.
Working Conditions (Schedule, Physical Demands, and Work Environment):
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, climbing stairs, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position requires grasping, repetitive hand movement, and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other documents.
- Acute hearing is also required when providing phone assistance.
- The need to lift, drag, push, and pull files, reports and other materials weighing up to 25 pounds is required.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to: Erika Higley, Chief Finance and Operations Officer, at Erika.Higley@cathedral.org “Registered Nurse-Part Time-(your name)” written in the subject line.
Beauvoir the National Cathedral Elementary School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that either the employee or the School may terminate the relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason or no reason.